Saturday, August 29, 2009

GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra


1.5 stars out of 5

Ok, I realize I have overdosed on action movies this year. But this was GI Joe. I grew up with GI Joe being one of my favorite past times. I think from about age 7 to age 12 I though GI Joes were awesome. So when GI Joe came out at the director's club (recliner seats), I organized a work group to go. Ironically, there was a US aircraft carrier in Manila at the same time, so I reserved 60% of the theater and Navy servicemen occupied the other 40% of the theater.

Anyway, it was an awful movie. The ratio of acting to development was way too high. The acting was wooden, the storyline was cartoonish (true to form at least) and the whole thing very disappointing. I thought that the GI Joes were an elite US fighting force. But they made it out in the movie to be this international UN secret group, which sounded ridiculous. And the GI Joes they chose were so dumb - the only obvious pick was Snake Eyes. Duke and Ripcord are the main characters. Duke? Ripcord? Where are Dusty, Shipwreck, Leatherneck, Road Block, Main Frame, Frost Bite, etc.? Those were my Joes. The whole thing was stupid.

I would not recommend this to anyone unless you happen to be on a plane and the only other option is to watch a Will Ferrell movie.

No comments: